Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 1 of "Write it Down" Diet -- With Recipe for Lo-Cal Toast Spread

As vowed, this is the start of my two-week food-diary weight loss effort.
For breakfast I had 1/2 whole wheat English muffin (topped with a few tablespoons of cottage cheese spread -- recipe below), 1/2 grapefruit and two big mugs of black tea -- sweetened with Splenda and lightened with fat-free half & half. (Yes, I know that the H&H is full of chemicals, but I can't seem to wean myself off it....) Calorie wise, it's probably 250 calories to start the day.

This spread is super easy, I love the flavor, and it lasts in the fridge for weeks on end. You only use a few tablespoons on a piece of toast -- giving you some protein and calcium and avoiding the need for butter, margarine or jam. If I'm not counting calories though, I add a layer of low-sugar jam before topping with this spread.

Recipe: Breakfast Spread

In a food processor or blender (food processor works much better), add a 16-ounce container of low-fat cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 6-8 packets of Splenda (or a store brand of same). Process until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more vanilla, cinnamon or Splenda, to taste.
Spoon into a storage container and keep covered in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment