Friday, March 2, 2012

Gaining weight (oops) -- what to do?

Doggone it -- a couple of pounds have crept up on me. When I hit a certain number on the scale, it's time to get things under better control. Otherwise, 2-3 pounds becomes 5 pounds or more, and that much weight is a lot harder to lose, at least for anyone over 40.
What strategy works best for battling a slight weight gain?
Increasing my exercise significantly is not an option -- I'm already close to maxed out with daily cardio and 3x week concentrated strength work. Besides, most recent research verifies that exercise isn't what makes people drop weight, although it's necessary for keeping the pounds off once you have lost them. (And exercise has so many other health benefits that it's a no-brainer to do it as much as possible for the rest of your life!)
So my strategy is all about calories in, and the first thing that has to go is alcohol. I love wine and cocktails, and giving them up temporarily is no easy thing, but it's an easier sacrifice for me than near-starvation would be.
Otherwise, I try to eliminate foods that I know are empty calories (most sweets) and/or calorie-dense foods that aren't filling or satisfying but just taste good. (I don't have to list those, do I?)
As everyone who struggles with weight control knows, it's so easy to gain and so hard to lose. Wow, those few pounds came on quickly but (also wow) they will not come off anything like as fast.
WHAT'S YOUR STRATEGY FOR DROPPING A FEW POUNDS? PLEASE COMMENT AND SHARE YOUR IDEAS WITH OTHER HEALTHY FOODIES.

No comments:

Post a Comment