Saturday, February 11, 2012

Best food magazines for Healthy Foodies

There are lots of food reads on the newsstand, but if you want to narrow it down to just a couple of really good ones, here are my picks. The first two are for cooks -- for anyone who wants to enjoy delicious food at home while sticking to an overall goal of staying fit and healthy. They not only contain great recipes but they also have informative articles about the relationship between food and health.
The third one on my list is just a wonderful read every month and is one of my favorite things that comes in the mail. Unlike the first two, it has a welcome focus on wine, and on top of that includes fascinating pieces on travel, from a foodie perspective.


1. Eating Well takes very little advertising, is beautifully designed and produced, and strikes a pleasing balance in its approach to food by leaning heavily towards health-oriented recipes without going overboard toward asceticism. The articles about food trends, including an encouraging emphasis on sustainability and environmental responsibility, makes this magazine a standout.

2. Clean Eating is a relaitvely new discovery for me, but it's become a solid favorite after just a few issues as a subscriber. This one is less available on newsstands, at least around where I live, so you almost have to subscribe to keep up with it. The health orientation is a little more strict than with either of the two others, and many of the articles focus on coping with diet-influencing health conditions such as diabetes or gluten intolerance. Worth a look!


3. Food & Wine is my absolute favorite among the mainstream food mags. Although many of the recipes are too rich for my kitchen, it's possible to make lighter versions with a few substitutions here and there. I've gotten a lot of great ideas from this magazine. And I really love the wine articles and travel pieces, some of which I rip out and save for our own roamings.

2 comments:

  1. you forgot cooking light! and kroger has a great little magazine for free to pick up at their stores each month called Delicious Living http://newhope360.com/delicious-living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason,I gave up on Cooking Light some time ago. But you're right, it has some good features. Just too much advertising?
      I haven't seen the Kroger's magazine although I do shop there occasionally. Will look for it.
      Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete