Sunday, August 14, 2011

Boxed Wines Have Improved -- Try These

Boxed Wines Can be Pleasant
I've only recently even tried drinking wine from a box, and so far haven't found any that I'd serve to dinner guests with the meal. But for more casual occasions, they can suffice. There's no doubt that wine stays fresher inside these containers than it ever can in an open bottle, so as long as winemakers continue to improve the quality of what they're putting in the boxes, I am open to finding the good ones.
Here are recommendations by Ray Isle, Food & Wine's knowledgeable wine writer. Also recently the New York Times wine column did a tasting of boxed wines and flagged some of the same ones that Isle does. I'll include in my culling of these the ones that made both lists.
(I'm particularly interested in the Wineberry offerings...)

2009 Bota Box Chardonnay

This lightly oaked, appley Chardonnay from California comes in boxes made from recycled cardboard printed with eco- friendly soy inks.
2009 Wineberry Château du Chatelard Bourgogne Blanc


It's unusual to find good white Burgundy in a box (much less a cool wooden box). This sleek white justifies its higher price.
2008 Bandit Cabernet Sauvignon California

Bandit's medium-bodied, curranty Cabernet has a licorice hint on the finish. It's packaged in lightweight, recyclable Tetra Paks.
2010 Domaine le Garrigon Côtes-du-Rhône

Importer Wineberry packages several of its wines in attractive wooden boxes, among them this meaty, spicy, Grenache-based red from the Rhône valley.
 NV Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box

People who like big, dense California Chardonnays will love this one for its caramel-vanilla notes and super rich texture

1 comment:

  1. Please for christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti
    I have made a blog on blogspot and have added a google ads in the blog but haven't made a dime with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.

    follow these simple steps to help me

    1.go to my profile and visit my blog from there
    2.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
    3.click ONE of the ads that APPEALS to you from ADChoices boxes and visit there.
    4.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
    and that's it.

    Improtant: Please click one time only.
    I will be grateful to you
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete