Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sonoma -- but without wine (for now)


There's a new restaurant on Oakley Square called Sonoma American and Mediterranean Grill -- where Kona Bistro used to be.
The owner is Israeli and added the "American" to his fare because he thought a lot of people wouldn't want to try the Greek/Middle Eastern dishes. But in their 10 days or so of business thus far, he says that 85% of the orders have been from the Med sections of the menu.
My friend and I went for lunch on Friday. There weren't many other tables filled but with the disruptive road construction going on in that section of Oakley, it's no wonder.
Susan ordered "the best lentil soup I've ever had" and a "scrumptious" house salad. She lives nearby and loves Mediterranean food, so I'm pretty sure she and her husband will be back.
My falafel wrap was only OK.
Ryan (the owner) says the real house specialty is their kebobs, so that's definitely what I'd try upon returning. The type of cuisine definitely has a good health profile, and especially for the neighborhood, it should be a good option.
Right now they only have a hard-liquor license. Until they can get a beer/wine license, they're letting people bring their own wine for a minimal $5 corkage fee. (I did notice that they have nice glassware behind the bar.)

No comments:

Post a Comment