Friday, April 9, 2010

Rapini (Broccoli Rabe) -- Delicious Italian Greens





I've been looking for rapini all winter, and finally found some this week at bigg's in Hyde Park/Oakley. It's a cool weather crop, so you might also start seeing rapini -- also called broccoli rabe -- at local farmers markets this spring.
I've tried different cooking methods and have settled on coarsely chopping, then blanching the greens and thinner stems very briefly in boiling, salted water before draining well and adding to sauteed aromatic vegetables.
For the veggies, I happened to have a half fennel bulb in the fridge, so I chopped and sauteed it with a half red pepper, minced garlic, and about a cup of sliced mushrooms.
To serve, I sprinkled with some cheese.
This was my dinner, with bread. It's also good over pasta or as a side dish with fish or poultry.

No comments:

Post a Comment