Wednesday, January 6, 2010
What you (we) can do to change our food system
Instead of only bemoaning our nation's obesity epidemic and food-safety lapses, here are some actions you/we can take to improve things -- however incrementally.
1. Stop drinking sodas and other sweetened beverages
2. Eat (and cook) at home instead of eating out
3. Go meatless one day a week
4. Support family farms by shopping at farmers' markets, in season (from about April through November, in Cincinnati)
5. Know where your food comes from (read labels), and shop at grocers who label the origin of foods.
These are adapted from the list on the website for the movie, "Food, Inc."